Heartland Panda Pediatrics is now hiring Pediatric Clinic RNs!
Heartland Panda Pediatrics strives to provide the highest possible quality of care for patients up to 21 years of age. We are a partnership of board-certified pediatric care providers who take this mission to heart. Our practice has won the "Best of Lawrence" community vote since 2013, as well as, 2018’s Winnie Family Favorites awards. We are also a 5-star Kansas Breastfeeding Friendly Practice.
Heartland Panda Pediatrics is part of Heartland Community Health Center, a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) with three clinics located in Lawrence, KS; a vibrant college town with an artistic community and culture like nowhere else in Kansas. We are a rapidly growing community health center dedicated to true Integrated care and are searching for individuals who desire to serve all members of our community regardless of their current social status. Heartland serves a very diverse population that spans from indigent and under-served members in our community to the very affluent. We strive to provide accessible, continuous, compassionate, and excellent care that addresses all needs through primary care, behavior health, dental services, and much more.
Heartland offers competitive wages with growth opportunities. We are committed to a healthy work life balance and thus have a generous PTO plan in addition to 11 paid holidays (including Birthday off). Benefits also include Medical, Dental, and Vision plans as well as Long and Short term disability and life insurance.
- Hours M – F from 7:45 am – 6 pm as needed. Candidate will work a 4.5 day week with Saturday morning rotation (every 3rd) and approximately 40 hours per week is required
- Hours are approximate and may be altered by supervisor(s) as needed
The Pediatric Clinic RN is an integral member of the interdisciplinary health team and assists in the care of patients, including administration of treatments and medications, patient education, triage, and clinic flow activities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Works in harmony with others, exhibits a positive attitude and commitment to the health center mission. Actions show commitment to team effort, works well with others, supports group objectives, and participates in staff meetings and team problem solving;
- Consistent patient-centered, caring disposition is a must for this position;
- Knowledgeable of the scope of practice for all nursing disciplines as described by the Nursing Practice Act;
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively organize and prioritize work and utilize available resources to assist with efficient patient flow in the clinic;
- Demonstrates understanding of appropriate nurse to provider ratios, skill levels, and cost effectiveness strategies;
- Actively assists with routine clinic tasks. Utilizes established methods to ensure consistency in maintaining emergency supplies, stock medications, immunizations, forms, sterile instrument inventory, equipment, and appropriate exam room inventory, etc.;
- Assists in the orientation and education of new nursing employees;
- Utilizes the health center Performance Improvement processes in identifying the center needs related to any aspect of patient care and customer service;
- Demonstrates flexibility in work roles and schedules to meet the changing needs of the center; Maintains awareness of new information applicable to job, i.e. policies, meeting minutes, procedures, memos, and protocols;
- Utilizes slow time constructively to enhance center operations and assists other departments when time and workload permits;
- Maintains professional appearance; follows established dress code;
- Promptly informs supervisor of real or potential clinic problems;
- Maintains confidentiality of patients and staff;
- Actively pursues continuing education in order to improve job skills or performance;
- Ability to identify own areas of needed improvement, and formulates goals to work toward;
- Utilizes appropriate methods to deal with stressful situations;
- Understands and supports organizational goals;
- Meets work schedules, fulfills responsibilities and commitments, i.e. attendance, punctuality, dependability, initiative, productivity and efficiency.
Direct and Indirect Patient Care/Clinic Responsibilities
- Follows protocol and perform accurate and thorough work ups and check ins of all patients;
- Accurately assesses current status as well as preventive health status and communicates needs to provider;
- Assists with patient education based on assessment of patient needs and clinic standards of nursing care and documents in patient record.
- Provides skilled nursing care as demonstrated by safely and accurately performing technical skills (sterile dressings, EKGs, pulmonary treatments, etc.) and the safe, accurate administration of medications, IV fluids, and immunizations;
- Anticipates the needs of providers related to patient visits, and assists providers with patient care;
- Assumes role of advocate to ensure health needs are met including responding to patient phone messages and requests in a timely and professional manner;
- Documents all provider orders, nursing actions, and interventions on patient record consistent with health center guidelines;
- Assists with triage patients on site and via telephone for appropriateness and timeliness of care per approved triage protocols and standing orders;
- Knowledgeable of and follows all established Infection Control guidelines and OSHA standards and participates in staff training events;
- Exhibits caring qualities consistent with the values of the health center;
- Performs laboratory testing, including proper handling and labeling of all test samples according to health center policies and in compliance with CLIA guidelines;
- Keeps patients/families informed of situations that affect patient's clinic visit; i.e. extended waiting times, seeing provider other than originally scheduled, etc;
- Able to perform effectively and appropriately in emergency situations;
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Other Duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate with Coordination of care for patients with chronic illnesses
- Assist in coordination of care for patients who are also clients of the Bert Nash Center
- Assist in triage for patients who are receiving care by psychiatric providers
- Work with Medical Assistants on day to day operations.
- RN currently licensed to practice in the state of Kansas.
- Maintains current licensure, required training and credentialing
- Age Specific Competencies Infants through Adolescents
- Age Specific Competencies - Adult
- Experience in ambulatory care setting preferred.
- BLS Certification
- Possesses strong clinical skills and competency in ambulatory care.
- Strong interest in working with an interdisciplinary health team and culturally diverse patient populations.
- Agrees to uphold Heartland's guiding values of Compassion, Respect, Collaboration, and Integrity.
- Sits and moves throughout the day.
- May be exposed to infection and contagious diseases, and unpleasant patient or unit elements.
- Handles emergency or crisis situations.
- Subject to many interruptions.
- Must be able to function in a high stress environment.
- Job tasks are performed in close physical proximity to other people
- Requires working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions
- Requires dealing with unpleasant, angry, or discourteous people and other conflict situations.
- Requires repeating the same physical activities or mental activities
- Requires using hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools or controls
- Requires bending or twisting